Sunday, May 29, 2011

Toy testing

Last week I bought a new lens for my camera (a Canon 7D). It was a Canon EF 24-105mm f 1:4 L IS USM (I hope I got all those letters right ...) Consequently, I have been looking for subjects fitted more for lens testing than for beauty (whatever that may be).

Since both lens and camera body are supposed to be weather and dust shielded, what could be better than to test it in a workshop? Luckily I found one open not too far off.

All photos where shot in RAW-format and developed in Adobe Lightroom 3.41. For the technically minded I have included some of the exposure data.

The one above was shot outside the workshop, with 1/80 sec, f/10, ISO 800 and focal distance 32mm (equiv 51mm)

A real dusty engine is nice. Lots of dirty details. Shot at 1/125 sec, f/11, ISO 3200, focal distance 24mm (equiv 38mm).

The building housing the workshop is an old one, but they could build with style. The windows might almost be fit for a church. Shot at 1/125 sec, f/11, ISO 400 and focal distance 24mm (equiv 38mm).

So far it looks like this lens is going to be heavily used.

19 comments:

imac said...

Congrats on your new lens, with grand photos Rune, but its the photographer who takes wonderful photos my friend.

Malyss said...

This post is a little "too technical" for me, from all points of view! :o)I'll just recall the lovely light coming from the bright windows, no matter how you got it!

becky said...

Diggin' that last shot...so abbey stylin'... It made my day to know the windows are in a workshop :) These guys have style!

Hans HB said...

An excellent result, RuneE!
I understands that this lens will be used!

truels said...

You are lucky to have some very nice photo equipment! My favorite photo of these three is definitely the second of the engine: Fantastic composition!

Bengts fotoblogg said...

Fantastiskt fina bilder, vilken skärpa!

Bare bilder - Pictures only said...

Det kaller jeg bygning med stil:)
...og det tekniske skal jeg ikke si noe om, da jeg er svært så uteknisk av meg:))
Ha ei flott uke:)

katney said...

Well done.

Have fun with it.

Woody said...

The shots are great! The 24-105 was my first lens purchase. I remember anguishing over the cost because it cost more than my camera kit. It's the lens that you will normally find on my camera and I love it. I suggest saving for a quality circular polarizer and a hood (buy a replica, the Canon one is too expensive). I know you will enjoy it and I look forward to your creations!

Irene said...

Grattis med nytt objektiv! Har planer om å kjøpe meg en EOS 5d snart. Funderer enda på om jeg skal satse på 24-70 eller 24-105 mm. Vil helst ikke velge mellom lysstyrke og mer zoom, men får visst ikke begge deler. Blir artig å høre "dommen" når du får lekt deg litt!

Irene

Marka said...

Looks like your new lens is working out wonderfully well!

Lew said...

Fine work with the new lens! The number I like is f1:4. And that zoom range should be convenient for lots shots.

Reader Wil said...

Brilliant, Rune! You are becoming more and more professional! I think your lens and camera are together a great success.

Anne said...

Jeg så å så på bildene, og i noen sekunder var jeg jammen ikke helt sikker på hva du hadde kjøpt gitt
:-0

Så ditt første bilde fra den garasjen der og var redd det hadde rabla helt for deg gutten. Måte på å bruke pengsjonen på å, men LINSE det kan en da like, jeg skal google din for å lese mer om egenskapene, for tallene sier meg enn litt lite Rune.

Fne bilder fik du jo til, og JA!!!! jett om jeg så rustbildet ditt her, me like a lot man .-)

Smellkyss uten karries og plakk.

EG Wow said...

Rune, what's the reason for using a 24-105 mm lens as opposed to an 18-70? Is it simply because you can get a tad bit closer when you zoom in on your subject?

La sonrisa de Hiperión said...

Siempre estupendas tus imágenes...

Saludos!

CSJ said...

Bella inquadratura!

Dina said...

Enjoy your new one. I don't understand all those numbers, but I can appreciate "weather and dust shielded." That sounds great.

I love those windows.

lynnwiles said...

Congratulations on your new lens. The photo of the engine is of such superb quality. I love my L telephoto, but what about all the things from 18-70 or 24-105.