Tuesday, May 05, 2009

P is for PhotoWalk in Bergen in ABC Wednesday

What is a PhotoWalk you may ask? Is is just what it says - a walk where you take pictures. In this case, a camera dealer in Bergen arranged such a walk a Saturday at the end of April. They even included a small competition (theme: "Fragments of Bergen"), so Saturday afternoon about 100 enthusiast and I enjoyed the weather and snapped away as if we had never seen our home town before. And that is of course the way to do it.

Some hours and a few hundred pictures later, I found that in addition to having played tourist at home ,I had also found myself a perfect P for this week's ABC Wednesday-entry: PhotoWalk. Below are some samples

All of us started of course to look for "THE UNUSUAL OBJECT". Here is mine: Balloons with Gaelic inscriptions are not everyday objects in Bergen.

The next task was of course to try out unusual angles - the usual way of doing it wouldn't do among so many exalted enthusiasts. So corners and walls became very popular subjects among the photographers.

OK - let us get a bit more serious: Many of the houses in the central part of Bergen are made of wood. In addition the streets are narrow. This has lead to many large fires in the past.

A typical narrow street, called a "smug" or "smau".

If you visit Bergen on a week-end in spring there is one phenomenon that will not escape your notice: "Buekorpsene". These are traditional brigades of children and youngsters, loosely based on citizen brigades from the 19th century. This particular one is called "Skansen Bataljon"

The white building in the background was once a fire station.

One reason why you will notice them is that they use drums...

The photographers of course fell for the small boys in uniform.

One cannot have a PhotoWalk in Bergen withot at least one glimpse of our old harbour, "Vågen". It used to be filled by all kinds of ship, but nowadays the pleasure crafts dominate the inner part - in the week-ends at least. In the background is of course "Statsraad Lehmkuhl", Norway's largest sailing vessel and the pride of the city.

The central part of the city of Bergen is not large and the effects of the heavy traffic has been huge. Therefore, restrictions are being placed on traffic in general and many streets and squares have been closed to traffic and upgraded and redecorated.

And what of the contest? After much deliberation I selected the one below...

And did I win? I haven't heard anything, so I suppose not. But I got a lot of pictures for my hard drives and I hope that you have enjoyed seeing this small selection.


Today's post is an entry in the fourth round of ABC Wednesday, the meme initiated by Denise Nesbitt.


For more, you can log on via a Mr Linky enabled site

38 comments:

imac said...

A Master at work(or pleasure).
Fine post Rune.

Mara said...

What a fantastic idea! I might introduce that idea to our local photoshop owner!
And, I know she was from Sweden, but the smau looked so Pippi Longstocking, it took me back to all those films I used to see when I was younger.
Thank you for those brilliant photos!

JoAnn's-D-Eyes said...

Hi RuneE,
Great walk and I love the Photo's very much!

Come see my P... abc:)
JoAnn/Holland

Rune (Bildebloggen) said...

Takk for rundturen, ble sittende og se på alle takene i bilde nr tre, her var det mange fine linjer å skue,og smuget i nr tre var artig, da først forstår man hvor tett det ligger der.

Flott knippe bilder!

VALKYRIEN said...

Takk for turen i Bergen, veldig trivelig å være der igjen! Flotte bilder jeg kan kjenne meg igjen i! Og det bildet du sendte til konkurransen, likte nå jeg godt da! Det fanget svært my av Bergen i mine øyne - men nå er det jo en stund siden jeg var der da!
Kjempefine bilder!

ArneA said...

Your ROOF photo of Bergen narrow streets is brilliant!!!!!
:)

naturglede said...

Dette likte jeg. Det er over et år siden jeg var der, så det er vel snart tid for en tur igjen. Ha en fin abc:)

PERBS said...

You have a super reflection photo -- just wish you had explained the details in the window panes a little more. I would have chosen that one for a winner!

Kathy sent me a card reader so I could upload photos from her camera to use so I used a few for my latest post. Come and see some flowers. . .

Tyra in Vaxholm said...

Thank you Rune för en fin rundtur i Bergen. Det är i Bergen det regnar så mycket ellerhur?

Ha det gott/ Tyra

THE GREENHOUSE IN TYRA'S GARDEN

Hyde DP said...

The shot up the drainpipe is my favourite.

Svein said...

Noe kjent med alt dette ja :-) Dessverre visste jeg ikke om turen før etterpå, - men det hadde ikke passet likevel. Var sikkert gøy å være med på :-)

photowannabe said...

Love our tour of Bergen. Its a beautiful place and it would be difficult to pick a favorite photo. Love the angles and the reflection of the last picture. Nice choices for the letter P.

Sylvia K said...

I always love your photos, Rune! And these are wonderful! Fun way to see Bergen! Thanks so much for sharing! Thanks, too, for visiting my blog and your comment, always appreciated!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

A photowalk is a GREAT idea! And yes, I did enjoy the photos you chose to show us!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Thanks, Rune, for telling about my faulty link. I fixed it. ;-)

Miss_Yves said...

Oh, Yes !I do enjoy your selection, and this way of visiting Bergen !(-the roofs, the narrow street, the brigades...Thanks for sharing!)
This photowalk is perfect to"play tourist at home " and to discover new things !

Reader Wil said...

I have enjoyed this photowalk immensely! And you had fantastic weather, by the looks of it. Of course you win!! Although I noticed that all the Norwegian bloggers are great photographers. Well I hope you win.

Granny Smith said...

You harvested a delightful set of Bergen photos. The one looking down at the roofs and narrow streets corresponds to my memories of visiting Bergen. The harbor is beautiful with its old houses bordering it.

Babooshka said...

P for perfection with every post. The Ceilidh intrigued me , we have those here. Manx speaking nights of poetry, song, storytelling and dancing. Always a winner in my eyes, and you know I mean that. I'm totally with Wil, Norwegian photobloggers rule.

Abe Lincoln said...

I liked the drain pipe I guess for the nest near the top. Also liked the roofs. Nice job though on all the shots.

Jeni said...

WOW! You know I love all your pictures and especially all of these but I think my favorites of this "litter" would be the houses and all the rooftops and then, of course, the boats/ships in the harbor. I do especially love any and all your pictures of the water and boats and such. Always find them very, very enticing.

mitt vattenhål said...

Hej

Like the photo of all diferent roofs and the old houses :-)

Sara said...

Rune, this was a very enjoyable walk around Bergen...you showed me many unusual (to me) places, streets, homes...and yes, those balloons in the first shot are definitely different. A Bergen Ceilidh! Amazing.

Carol said...

OH I very much enjoyed the photowalk photos! What a great idea. I like all of your photos...but especially the rooftops shot.

Barbara Martin said...

A very fine post, RuneE, with a perfect combination of wonderful photos and narrative history.

Lew said...

Perfect indeed! I too like the roof-top shot of the houses. It looks like it would be easy to get lost in those narrow streets. And no big autos to park by the front door! The mountains and the water make it hard to just spread out a city in Norway, but it also makes for beautiful scenery. Nice human touch with the Buekorpsene. And as always a great harbor image. Very enjoyable walk while sitting in my chair!

Alan said...

A lovely tour. Yours is a beautiful city/area - I never tire of seeing it.

Tumblewords: said...

You've certainly won in my book - this is an incredible photo display - I loved every second of it. Thank you!!

Anne said...

Snakk om flott guidet tur!!!

Grace and Bradley said...

I am glade that you went to the Photowalk and we got the chance of a photo tour of your lovely city. Thanks for sharing.

Malyss said...

My three favorite are: the harbour, the drums and the roofs of Bergen;
Thank you for that wonderful walk through your town and through your photographer's sensitivity;
I wonder if you were obliged to stay all together on the same way, or could you go where you wanted?
I have a lot of pictures of the Statsraad Lehmkuhl : I saw this ship in many international ships meetings, and I'm glad to discover it in its home.
The harder in this kind of walk is to forget that we live here, and to open our eyes in a different way, like if everything was new; That's hard, but interesting to do.
It was a great post, and I enjoyed it!

Marie Reed said...

This was a delightful photowalk through your town! I especially liked the bright and unusual balloon!

Mediterranean kiwi said...

i love the photo of the rooftops - i understand what you mean about fires, as we used to have a lot of fires in wellignton new zealand where there were lots of wooden houses

Truls said...

Likte svært godt rundturen du gav oss i denne bloggoppføringen. På foto er du alltid en vinner RuneE.

Pat - Arkansas said...

A marvelous post, Rune. I very much enjoyed your selection of shots from your photo walk. I'd be hard-pressed to select a favorite; they are all wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Wenche said...

Tusen takk for rundturen i Bergen!! Veldig flotte bilder. Er no heilt klar for ein ny tur til Bergen, og det er din feil*ler*

GAWO said...

Så heldig du var da :-) Som kom med på en så fin byrunde. Jeg ante ikke at sånne fototurer ble arrangert. Jeg tror jeg får lage meg min lille private by-foto-tur for det har jeg gjort altfor lite av. Du har funnet så mange fine motiver at jeg blir frister til å ta med kamera til sentrum. De hustakene er en vinner synes jeg.

Dagrun said...

Flotte bilder! Bergen er og blir en flott by (takbildet er min favoritt).