Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I is for Icon in ABC Wednesday

Last autumn we visited the Greek island of Rodos (Rhodos, Rhodes). Like many other tourists we joined some of the guided tours that the tour operator had on offer. One of them went into the mountains where we should see something or other.

I wandered a little bit off by myself and found a small chapel nearby. It was open, so I entered - and found this:

A tiny, whitewashed, beautiful, little chapel filled with a large amount of icons. Wikipedia has this to say about icons:

An icon (from Greek εἰκών, eikōn, "image") is a religious work of art, most commonly a painting, from Eastern Orthodox Christianity. More broadly the term is used in a wide number of contexts for an image, picture, or representation; it is a sign or likeness that stands for an object by signifying or representing it either concretely or by analogy, as in semiotics; by extension
And furthermore:
In Eastern Christianity and other icon-painting Christian traditions, the icon is generally a flat panel painting depicting a holy being or object such as Jesus, Mary, saints, angels, or the cross. Icons may also be cast in metal, carved in stone, embroidered on cloth, done in mosaic or fresco work, printed on paper or metal, etc.
On every wall there were neatly arranged small icons. I was the only tourist who went in, so I used the opportunity to take some photos. I may be non-religious myself, but I never use flash-light in other peoples sacred places without being expressively told to do so. It is called respect. However the door was open, there was light from the window and the walls were white. No problem to get decent pictures with ISO 1600 and 1/125 seconds exposure.

But look below for yourself:


And the chapel itself? Whitewashed and maintained in the most impressive manner.



Today's post is an entry in the fourth round of ABC Wednesday, the meme initiated by Denise Nesbitt.


For more, you can log on via a Mr Linky enabled site

44 comments:

Kerri said...

You got some great shots! And perfect for I!

imac said...

What a beautiful place Rune.

Mediterranean kiwi said...

these churches are very representative of places of worship around the country - they are similar to the ones we have in crete

Liv said...

Vakker kirke og nydelige Iconer;))

RuneK said...

Nydelige bilder og flott post Rune! Alltid spennende når man kommer over nye ting på tur :)

Ivar Ivrig said...

Flott. Som Rune K sier så er det spennende å gå på oppdagelsesferd. Men viktig å gjøre som deg, HA MED KAMERA. ALLTID :-)

Rinkly Rimes said...

It's the white-against-the-blue' of Greece that always gets me.

JoAnn's-D-Eyes said...

wow RuneE
Great to see these Icons , I like Greece very much, this is another way of looking at it.

Greetings from JoAnn
Happy ABC

Janie said...

Impressive icons, indeed.

kadermo said...

Det var många intressant foton. -tack för titten.

Tyra in Vaxholm said...

Impressive Rune, de är så vackra. För ett par år sedan gick jag på en Iconmålar kurs. Det var riktigt spännande och det resulterade i en icon. Men ojoj vilket jobb det var.

Kul val.

Hälsningar Tyra

Sylvia K said...

Terrific shots, Rune! You always have fabulous photos and I enjoy them whether it's Wednesday or not!

Reader Wil said...

Rune, this is exceptionally beautiful. The icons are very exquisite and you can see that the people who looked after the church, did it with love. Have a nice week.

Reader Wil said...

Meg igjen! Jeg også liker "headeren" min! LOL.

Leslie: said...

What a beautiful chapel...and lots and lots of icons. Great post today. :D

John said...

Fine og velkomponerte bilder og en flott post, Rune.

Siw Aina said...

Noen ganger lønner det seg å vandre avsted på egenhånd. For et vakkert kapell. Utrolig masse lekker pynt å forevige med kameraet!

ArneA said...

Have always been fascinated of religious Icons.
Was close to buy one from Russian sources some years ago, but ended up trying to make one myself.
Not my kind of art, but very intriguing objects.

gone to the dogs said...

I love the church. It looks so humble on the outside yet full of such colourful artwork. Great idea for "I"

Kate said...

What a wonderful and fantastic find! It's beauty is without question in its simplicity, especially the exterior. I discovered icons in Russia and have an abiding interest and appreciation for them. Wonderful religious images and spectacular art. Thanks for wandering on your own and sharing your find with us!

Anna said...

Thanks for such an interesting and informative post. You never know what will be over the threshold when you go through any door. Simply quite beautiful !

Elaine Dale said...

I was hoping someone would do 'icons' - great job. And such a lovely church,

anthonynorth said...

Great photos. I'd love to visit a place like that.

Andrée said...

What beautiful beautiful photos of such a wonderful sacred spot. Thank you!

Life with Kaishon said...

What a pretty little chapel! So appropriate for the weeks before Easter. I love it!

Tumblewords: said...

Impressive photos! I remember being spellbound by the icons in Europe a long time ago. The white of the chapel is almost unreal. Spectacular.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Wow! Rune. Beautiful photos, amazing icons. Coincidentally (and I promise I did not peek) I also chose Icon for my "I" this week, but mine is a small single one.

Barbara Martin said...

Excellent photos, RuneE.

naturglede said...

For en vakker liten kirke, og flotte ikoner. Takk for at du viser fram de fine bildene dine. Ha en strålende dag:)

PERBS said...

Lots of icons for such a small chapel. . . I love the outside architecture!

raf said...

What a find, Rune, and you covered it beautifully!

Grace and Bradley said...

Very nice photos as always. Good choice for "I".

spacedlaw said...

Great choice!

Anne-Berit said...

Veldig fint,alt sammen!

Miss_Yves said...

Incredible ! how to imagine a travel far from Norway !(lol)
Wonderful choice !

nonizamboni said...

Incredible photos and interesting subject. I usually can't take my eyes off an icon--they are both mysterious and beautiful.
Thanks for sharing!

Ackworth born said...

I was going to ask if Rhodes was like Crete in this respect but our Kiwi friend from Hania has already answered for me.

Merisi said...

You transported me right there with your wonderful images! They are all great, but my favorite is the one with the altar covered by the beautiful fringed cloth, simple and yet so sophisticated!

Thank you for sharing this treasure with us and congratulations on winning David's Authorblog Post of the Day Award, so well deserved! :-)

Crystal Jigsaw said...

I love the little window covered with sacred pictures. To see a beautiful little whitewashed chapel like that, you would never believe there was so much beauty and fascinating beyond the doors.

CJ xx

Michele said...

A beautiful little chapel! Very well adorned with all those gorgeous icons... obviously very well taken care of.
Photography is very nice.

Katney said...

Excellent icon photos, Rune, and your photography is always deserving of note. A Russian Orthodox icon appeared in my G post a bouple of weeks ago when I was focusing particularly on its gilt frame.

introspection said...

Over from David's POTD. First of all Congratulations for deservedly winning POTD. The pictures are so vivid, without pretensions, neat and clear. The chapel looks to be a well maintained place without being the least ostentatious...a rare place of worship in these times. Icons have been placed simply on the walls. By just seeing these pictures, I feel that I have been transported to the chapel itself.
Lovely post, indeed.

Cheffie-Mom said...

Hi, I'm over from David's blog. Congrats on Post of the Day! Great photos!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Congrats, again! This time, it's POTD! Beautiful photos! You have a wonderful gift and eye!