Tuesday, November 25, 2008

S is for "Statsraad Lehmkuhl"

For one who was born and raised in the city of Bergen, Norway, the most natural choice for the letter "S" must be the Sailing vessel "Statsraad Lehmkuhl". Few things are more dear to us and few things symbolizes the city more than this ship. Anyone in doubt can look at my header.

The Statsraad Lehmkuhl is a three-masted barque rigged sail training vessel owned and operated by the Statsraad Lehmkuhl Foundation. She is based in Bergen, Norway and contracted out for various purposes, including serving as a school ship for the Royal Norwegian Navy (using RNoN's prefix "KNM", English: "HNoMS"). She was built in 1914 as a school training ship for the German merchant marine under the name «Grossherzog Friedrich August». After the First World War the ship was taken as a prize by Great Britain and in 1921 the ship was bought by former cabinet minister Kristoffer Lehmkuhl. (Hence the name, which means 'Cabinet Minister Lehmkuhl') With the exception of the Second World War, the ship has belonged to Bergens Skoleskib until she was donated to the aforementioned foundation in 1978 (from Wikipedia).

The shipowner Hilmar Reksten bought the ship himself and donated her to the foundation to prevent her from being sold to foreign interests.

The drawing below is from an old poster I once bought.


Norway has three large training sailig vessels, and this is the largest by far. Her dimensions is large, even by world standards. She has the following specifications:

  • Sparred Length: 98,00 m
  • L.o.a. (Length of hull): 84,60 m
  • L.b.p. (Length of waterline): 73,00 m
  • Width: 12,60 m
  • Max. Height: 48,00 m
  • Max. Draft: 5,20 m
  • Gross tonnage: 1516 t
  • Sails: 22
  • Sail area: 2026 m2
  • Speed: 11 knots (machine) / 17 knots (sails)
Of course we need some more pictures of the ship:

Here she is moored in Bergen Harbour ("Vågen"), close by the old fortress "Bergenhus".

A closer look at the decorations on the ships bow. Note the City of Bergen Coat of Arms to the left of the Norwegian flag

Here she is leading the convoy of ships leaving Bergen at the end of their stay at this year's Tall Ship's Races.

And a closer look.



Today's post is part of the the third round of ABC Wednesday. The founder, Denise Nesbitt, has changed the rules to make the system more practical. There is now a no-comment blog where you can post a copy or short version of your post with a link-back to your original post for the full version and comments. Scanning through this no-comment blog will give you lots of Smashy Ss. She has also set up a site where you can log on via Mr. Linky if you want to do that.

41 comments:

Ackworth born said...

O what a splendid set of photos - reminds me of our sail on R Tucker Thompson out of Russell in NZ.

JoAnn's-D-Eyes said...

Thanks Runee.
This is really GREAT! I love boats like this and you really gave me a good time, I like your blog and your photography...

Here is my S for Abc:
www.joannwalraven@hotmail.com

JoAnn greetings

ArneA said...

Ifølge Tullen er det typisk post fra deg.
Bruer og båter, og ser vi ekstra godt etter finnes mok måsene der også

Ivar Ivrig said...

Se der ja, et StaSelig Skip. Flotte bilder Rune :-)

Mediterranean kiwi said...

definitely something special - i have never been so close to such ships!

Petunia said...

Flotte bilder av byens stolthet! Det skipet er virkelig flott.
Jeg har veldig lyst til ta meg en tur, men det har aldri blitt til. Jeg finner alltid en unnskyldning siden jeg ikke er så glad i båter.

Ann said...

Fantastic, what amazing ships, and such beautiful scenery. Great work!

Gordon said...

She is a beautiful ship; certainly something to be proud of. We have a sail training ship here, but she is only half the length.

Dina said...

What a beauty, especially the bow! I'd love to crew on her. (Dream on . . .)
It's fun to try to say "Statsraad Lehmkuhl."

PERBS said...

Beautiful photos of a beautiful ship!! You done good with the photography for this post! Just beautiful. I love when the tall ships come for the Portland Rose Festival. . . you are blessed to get to see it as often as you choose.

I hope this goes through. I have visited three times now and each time, it wouldn't post the comment but rather, gave me a message like you get when you are uploading a photo. sigh I will also leave a comment on the post below if this works.

Dina said...

Thanks for your good comment just now. Yes, I DO know how such things are. Maybe in "the next life" (if...) we will have time to learn Greek and all the rest.

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

Living 400km from the sea prevents me from seeing any fine vessels such as these.
I know tall ships visit Vancouver and Victoria now and then and they always draw the crowds.

Miss_Yves said...

Splendid ship ...Stunning set of photos !
The festival "les Boréales" stands every year in Normandy, at Caen:meetings between different artist from northern countries

I prepare a surprise for you for "V"post !
(and about my post:my mother used to sew with her Singer sewing machine...Souvenirs, souvenirs )

Aileni said...

She really is heart-breakingly beautiful.

Ackworth born said...

Just a note to say my photo of Sally Walsh's Dam is from 1967 so taken in B&W.

Mediterranean kiwi said...

plus seven is good, but minus seven sounds nasty - i hope your good weather continues !

Bear Naked said...

OH how I would love to see that ship in person.
Your photos of the ship are super.

Bear((( )))

naturglede said...

Supre bilder av en vakker båt. Vi hadde Tall ship her for noen år siden, det var en opplevelse:)

Dan said...

Wow what stunning photographs of a magnificent ship. Thanks for sharing this treasure and part of history with me.

magiceye said...

very impressive pictorial!! loved it!

MurciaDailyPhoto and www.asthes.tk said...

It's a beautiful boat. You really show me the arriving of the boat. Great!

kjpweb said...

Great shots! That's an impressive ship!
Cheers, Klaus

Katney said...

You are a wealth of fascination with the tall ships.

Thanks for the heads-up about my bad link. I have fixed it.

Sailor Girl said...

S is INDEED for "Statsraad Lehmkuhl"!!!! I love this ship!! I took her some photos last September when I was in Bergen!!! THANK YOU!!!THANK YOU!!!THANK YOU!!!THANK YOU!!!THANK YOU!!!THANK YOU!!!
;-)

I will soon post some photos I took to your beautiful "Statsraad Lehmkuhl"!!!! If I could, I would imigrate immediately to Bergen!!!!!

Liz said...

She is very beautiful! She must look wonderful when she's moving through the water.

babooshka said...

I feel I have missed out on Ramsey's Tall Ships. Magnificent collectionand always the finest backdrops landscape.

Dragonstar said...

Perfect! I love the tall ships. Your photos are so beautiful.

On behalf of the ABC team, thank you for participating this week.

Daniel J Santos said...

what a beautiful ship, excellent.

Marie said...

Fantastiske bilde av Statsraad Lehmkuhl!

Dulce said...

Good choice. The photos are great!

Barbara Martin said...

I have liked sailing ships ever since my eyes spied the "Blue Nose Schooner" on the Canadian dime. Once I learned that ship's history I was hooked.

Beautiful photos and thank you for posting them.

kRiZ cPEc said...

thanks for sharing! To sail in a beautiful surrounding must be of great fun!

Tash said...

I just love the 1st photo! The ship & the cliffs in the background - really spectacular.
Where were you when you took these photos??

raf said...

I guess sailboats were a natural for you and I today. You certainly have the most majestic of all the S posts I've seen today, Rune. Such a beauty and especially under full sail!

pts said...

excellent!

Suzanne said...

This is a wonderful and educational post, the photos are lovely. Thanks so much.

roentarre said...

What a beautiful series of images you have shown through your very photography eyes!

imac said...

Wonderful photos my friend, beauty in the beholder.

Dick said...

Those ships are beautiful, I have been in that old fortress, great to see it again.

John said...

Flott serie med velkomponerte bilder.

kml said...

I love tall ships - and this one is no exception. She is most beautiful!