Thursday, August 07, 2008

Walking the camera

Many people take a walk with their dog. We don't have a dog, so I take a walk with a camera (or two). Since the selection of roads in the vicinity is rather limited (I live on an island) this of course leads to much repetition, but I don't mind that. If you keep an open mind you will always find something worth snapping. A photo is a reflection of an instant of time and two instances will never be the same.

However, today I'll show some photos I shot the other day when I took another, more seldom route. I had some errands at the local shopping centre (5 km away) and since the weather was fine I thought I might combine pleasure with necessity. I parked the car at the centre and had a stroll around a small fjord called Arefjorden. Here is a small selection of the photos I shot (I posted another on Tuesday).

The fjord is very small and would normally be called a "våg" - meaning bay - in Norwegian. It nearly bisects the island, so it is crossed by two small bridges. My stroll took me across both. Below is photo of part of the fjord showing houses, cottages and leisure crafts.



Here is another view


There are lots of pleasure crafts in various seizes and conditions. The old ones are of course photographically the most interesting. Here is one who has obviously had one too many inside - of water.


Here is another, probably meant for under-cover work.


The last one is of a rather special design that I find it hard to describe - perhaps fascinating is the word?


I hope you enjoyed our little stroll. I certainly did.

17 comments:

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Absolutely stunning photography... the boats are beautiful. The first one sitting by the boat house and the rock cliff is awesome! Very nice reflections....

Barbara Martin said...

Beautiful photos of the inlet with rocks, boat and water. The clarity is amazing as you caught the lighting perfectly.

Louise said...

Love these pictures. Love boats and water, and you definitely got some interesting ones. The reflection is the first picture is mesmerizing. It's amazing to me that a fjord, or bay, could be so calm and smooth for such a reflection.

Alan said...

I absolutely enjoyed the walk. Great reflections and a beautiful setting.

raf said...

Great post, Rune! Thank you. Wooden boats in beautiful settings like your fjords get my attention all day long. I hope you walk your camera(s) that way again soon.

GAWO said...

Nydelige bilder. Virkelig. Jeg synes at du kan masse om fotografering nå. Har du brukt sommeren til å studere håndboken? Jeg føler meg helt "bakpå". Kanskje et fotokurs til høsten hadde vært noe. Setter du opp et kurs?

Du, den fjorden, eller vågen, ser vi den fra hovedveien? Jeg synes jeg kjenner meg igjen på det første bilde. Tok en tur på Sotra i går nemlig. Og det var DEN solnedgangen. Fikk du med deg den??

Lara said...

for sure! the crisp photos were a treat - I guess your air is there clear, hence the addition in quality to the photos.

Ackworth Born said...

O I do like that yellow-painted old wooden vessel - I bet it has a tale or two to tell.

Abraham Lincoln said...

Gosh, that yellow boat stands out like a piece of toilet paper coming out of the backside of a man wearing shorts.

You are limited to an island, you said. I am limited to a backyard for the most part. Sometimes, like now, I get out in the little town and take some photos of the buildings. Other than that I am stuck with the four seasons and my 80 by 100 foot backyard.

redlan said...

what an amazing view!

ArneA said...

Bilde to er berre lekkert.
Ser at det ikke bare er rødt punkt som kan gi fantastiske effekter

KOSTAS said...

Amazing your all photographs, every I admire him, they exist a lot of information on the place where you live!
Very good work, splendid post!

Kerri said...

Oh I LOVED the stroll with you! The water pics are lovely...very cool reflection...and the boats....now you are right....those are fascinating!! That last one is completely awesome! Take us on another stroll soon :)

Gordon said...

Stunning photos; I especially like the contrasts of the brightly coloured boats against the scenic backgrounds.

Sara said...

My favorite is the second photo...truly beautiful. And that red boat with the blue cover looks about to sink...I want to rescue it!

Dick said...

Brilliant pictures, it's like being there.

Coca Cutie said...

Wonderful shots you have is this blog! Congrats