Saturday, June 21, 2008

An upgraded body


Luckily it wasn't me this time, but my camera. In the 70s I bought my first SLR. As any SLR user know - there is nothing to compare to that kind of camera, so when the digital SLRs became affordable for a simple amateur, I bought one in 2004. It was a Canon 300D SLR. It has given good service and will continue to do so in its new existence as my son's camera.It has been added to and upgraded in various ways: New and supplementary lenses, new flash, extra batteries, memory cards etc. And I like to think that I have learned a thing or two about photography.

But the time has moved on. It was now time to think of an upgrade to the body itself. The Canon series comparable to the 300D (350D, 400D, 450D) are good cameras, but I felt more like it would be like exchanging my car for the latest model of the same car. I wanted to step up a level at the same time. So I landed on a Canon 40D camera body. I get to keep all my other goodies, and at the same time step up.

The Canon 40D Is not a small and light camera - indeed, it is fairly heavy since it is made of a magnesium alloy and not plastic. It is also large compared to the 450D and others of the same kind. More in line with the "old time" SLRs. But this makes it sturdy and at the same time packed with features - so packed that I will need quite some time to master them.

I have not done this with the expectation that my pictures will immediately grow into something that will have gallery owners running to my door - on the contrary, you may well see a period of insecurity while I try to master all the new stuff. However, I hope its more modern features, upgraded electronics and increased sturdiness will make life easier for me and thus easier to take good photos.

In the meantime, here are two pictures taken just outside the door:

Our pines are growing


I have a feeling that there is more rust to be fought...

17 comments:

Wilma Nesbitt said...

The first picture is simply awesome. I love the flowers we see when we are out on our walks.

Anemone said...

Flott Rune.

Men et slikt kamera må sikkert koste flesk ?? Får igjen noen skattekroner da, men de er i mitt hode brukt til 1000 ting allerede :-(

Det var den Onkel Skrue fra Ameriken som aldri stryker med da...

Max-e said...

Runee I am so envious. I am seriously thinking of upgrading to an SLR myself and have been looking at the various options. For now I will confine myself to looking, that is until I decide which one to get.
Have fun.

detroit dog said...

Congratulations on the upgrade; glad it was the camera!

Paulie said...

My camera is almost 6 years old but I haven't found one I like more YET! I am still happy with the old camera.

Yours looks great -- so do the photos!

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

Good luck with the new body.
I have the pentax system ,having also had a pentax film SLR for about 30 years, so my upgrade was to the pentax sytem of digital SLRs.
I have the K10D and K100D bodies and some good glass to go with it.
Now get out and take some pictures.

Jim said...

Hi Rune,

I have sent you an E-mail. You will love the 40D! It has made a very good back-up body for my work. You will see a significant differene between it and your prior model.

Congratulations!

Jim

Dina said...

Titchadesh, Rune! The Hebrew blessing we say to someone who has something new. It means, literally, "May you be renewed [by your new thing]."

I remember with fondness my old SLR. But now the best for me is a digital small enough to squeeze into the jeans pocket.
Wishing you many happy new photos.

babooshka said...

It is always an exciting time upgrading. Can't wait to see what you produce.

Abraham Lincoln said...

I do visit and I do comment and I was here. I did look at your picture(s) and I did read what you wrote about them. I could say how great you are and how beautiful your work is but alas I would soon run out of things to say on the next blog I visited, so I just left this to prove I stopped and said a few words on Sunday. If I buy another Canon I would need a used casket to bury me in.

My Rheumatoid Arthritis hurts so I am using the same message for all.

Dick said...

For a try-out those pictures are very good. I'm looking forward to the next pictures.

GAWO said...

Og der fløy feriepengene dine...
Gratulerer. Spennende med nytt kamera og nå sitter vel du med nesen i instruksjonsboken og lar blogg være blogg for en stund. Du har vel akkurat tiden til å poste et nytt bilde. Og de må du gjøre for bildenen dine er alltid spennende og fine.

kml said...

Congrats on your new toy - enjoy!!

evlahos said...

excellent choice. congrats for your new "toy". and i have to say that i'm so envious....

Lara said...

a new camera is always great!

Old Wom Tigley said...

Hi Rune...
I wish you well with this upgrade, and I of course look forward to the results.

Kerri said...

Congrats on the new camera!