Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Sunday stroll

According to my doctors I have to do the best I can to stay in shape. My way of doing this is to take a (more or less) daily stroll of, say, four to seven kilometres. However, I have a feeling that the clothes in my wardroom have shrunk a bit lately, so this Sunday I decided to do a bit more and have longer stroll in a popular recreational area in Bergen. Care to join me?


We start at Svartediket. This lake was formerly the most important water supply for Bergen, but some years ago it was supplemented with several larger lakes further from the city centre. The whole supply system has been in process of change for a long time - a process that is till not finished.

We have had a dry spell for a while, but although we had some rain last week, the lake is far from full.


There are no ordinary dwellings in this area, but half-way upwards towards the next lake we meet some of the local inhabitants - complete with their own stone cottage.


The next lake is called Tarlebøvannet and the water from here is usually led to the higher areas in Bergen. At the moment it is undergoing major repair works.

As we leave the forested areas behind us, the path with its stone setting becomes more pronounced. In a climate as wet as ours, this is a necessity.

We are now approaching the mountain Rundemanen from the east - we have been walking more or less around this top and several others. From up here we have a view to the north - including the North Sea.


At the top (568 meters above the sea level) there is a communication tower, an old cairn (varde) and remnants from WW2. There are many of the last sort on all the mountains surrounding Bergen.


We can have lots of clouds and fog, but as we can see - the paths are clearly signposted.


After crossing the plateau at the top, we encounter what I think is a fairly nice view. The photo shows the approach to Bergen and I can see home (on the other side of the bridge, Askøybroen, - very visible on many of my photos). Again we see the North Sea in the distance. Next stop to the west is Shetland in the UK.

That just leaves walking down - by another route.

20 comments:

Gary said...

Fantastic walk! I'm absolutely shattered now!! But so happy to have seen those views!

Lovely Sunday stroll - hope those clothes feel a little looser now!!??

Gary

Ackworth Born said...

phew yes I'm shattered now too - I walk only a mile or so and that's about enough for me - today I discovered a woodland path not half a mile from my home that I'd never even known the existence of till today!

Ida said...

TAKK for en fin tur gjennom dine flotte bilder! :)

Paulie said...

Well, I am sure you accomplished more than exercise! You have a wonderful view on that hiking trail! I thought we had neat ones but yours is super neat. I have been walking each day also -- sometmes a short walk with my camera of course! other tiems much longer.

Kerri said...

Fabulous Views!! Thank you for taking us on your stroll!!

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

A great set of pictures, I also have the shrinking clothes problem after all the cream cakes in England but now working to fit them again.

mrsnesbitt said...

Loke ackworth I too am shattered now. Time for a cup of tea....but definately no biscuits! LOL!

Jeni said...

Just such a beautiful walk you just took us on! You really have no idea I'm sure how much I enjoy -and appreciate -your photos of your beautiful homeland.

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis" thanks you for inviting him to join you on your fine Sunday stroll!

SPECIAL EDITION FOR CHUCK PEFLEY!

ArneA said...

Beautiful!!!!
Takk for en flott tur i dine nærområder. Garderober er til for å byttes. Fra large til xxl er fult ut mulig uten å skjemmes. Litt furix kan jo hjelpe slik det gjør for Jockyene på Øvrevold.
Tror det ikke er nok med slike vakre turer for vektens skyld, men så absolutt for vår skyld.

Louis la Vache said...

Re your comment chez Louis - the Vespas are a lot less noisy than the Harleys! That many Harleys would have made several hearing aid salesmen rich!

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Puff puff... k, I'm exhausted but that was well worth the walk. The magnificent views! So pretty and the weather behaved perfectly. Stunning photos and I am so glad you had taken us along on this amazing stroll! wow...

Sharon said...

What a lovely walk! Thank you for sharing it! That last picture was amazing.

Lilli & Nevada said...

I really enjoyed the walk with you, always nice to see new countryside. And to see how others enjoy there Sunday stroll.

detroit dog said...

I really like your top 2 photos, and the one with all the directions (funny!).

Congratulations on your walks - I would imagine they are good for one's spirit as well as body.

There is a blog I've found that discusses only his walks, with very nice photos, in the UK. Look at davidkeates.blogspot

Jim said...

What a beautiful country you live in RuneE! I am enjoying your strolls and your very good photographs that record the places you've been and the sights that catch your eye.

I am sure that your walks are physically taxing. But I respect you for the effort you make to get the exercise you need. I'm not sure that I would trade my physical problems for yours, but I really would give just about anything to be able to walk more than 50 yards again with having to stop and rest. As it is I am lucky to be able to walk at all and even luckier to be alive.

Keep bringing me those photographs of your strolls as I walk along with you...

Thank you!

BTW, I've added your blog to my list as one that I really enjoy.

Jim

Truls said...

Du er sprek, mann!

John said...

Dette var en meget flott bilde serie, Rune. Takk for at du deler dette og takk for turen.

Suzi-k said...

thanks for the wonderful views, what a picturesque place, but no wonder you were stiff the next day!

Dina said...

I love the stone hut and stone path and all the other scenes.
It so makes me want to come back to Bergen! Was on a bus tour in the early 1970s. It was good for whetting the appetite for seeing more, and ON FOOT the next time.

I joined a Slim Peace group and they gave us a pedometer. We should walk at least 10,000 steps a day. Let's go!