Sunday, May 18, 2008

It goes with a bang!

During today's Sunday stroll, I found this small sign fastened to a structure usually not seen everywhere. As a hint, I can say that the language is German.


This structure had many components, and some of you may now recognize it for what it is, if not - look below:

Yes, it is a gun - an anti-aircraft gun from WW2 that was placed at Fjell Fortress in Norway by the Nazi's as a defence for the main triple gun tower that was supposed to guard against invasion of Western Norway by allied forces. The tower was initially placed on the battleship Gneisenau. The fortress is not very far from where we live, so I'll probably return to the subject later.

13 comments:

imac said...

Bet that would be worth a penny or two now.
Great shot and info Rune.

Pop over and see my odd shot.

Old Wom Tigley said...

Clearly not 'vorchsprung durch technik' here then... :O)

I had put this in the wrong post Rune.. very sorry about that...

Tomorrow I try in my own silly way to answer the question you asked in my comments about a 'river and a brook'ha! you well and truely had me stumped my friend.. :O)

Andrea said...

Interesting. I thought it was a valve to some type of water contraption.

Neva said...

wow.....

babooshka said...

Great little post. Packed with info again, and some very striking images. Not expecting to those on a sunday

evlahos said...

very interesting post.

Abraham Lincoln said...

Nice to get a close up look at the guns from World War II. It was a famous war for me as most of my neighbors had sons off to war fighting somewhere. I saw lots of captured things brought back as war trophies -- from flags to rifles and pistols, knives and rings.

detroit dog said...

Wow. This is wild. How did you get the Nazis out of Norway? You always have such wonderful history on your blog!

quinttarantino said...

At first I thought on some kind of vessel ... even a sub ... and then ... bang!

photowannabe said...

Terrific close-ups. Thanks for giving the full view too so i could find out what I was looking at.

me and my camera said...

A really interesting R post, with a fascinating history lesson to go with it.

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis", being a World War II history buff enjoyed this post very much! The Nazis hung on to Norway until the bitter end.

Dick said...

Interesting, it is in a good condition. We have a few fortress here but all anti-aircraft guns are removed a long time ago.