Saturday, May 17, 2008

17.05.2008


17th of May - to most people around the world it is a day like any other day. To Norwegians it is THE DAY. It is the Norwegian Constitution Day, or put another way - our National Day. What the 4th of July is to the people in USA and the 14th of July is to the French, the 17th of May is to us - only more so.

The day is in commemoration of the signing of the first national, Norwegian constitution in 1814. After 400 years of Danish rule, the Napoleonic wars had left Norway to be transferred as a booty of war from Denmark to Sweden. However, the Norwegians wanted it otherwise. A national assembly was called at Eidsvold outside Oslo (then called Christiania) and they signed the worlds most liberal constitution on this day. True, after a short war with Sweden, Norway had to accept a personal union with Sweden under the rule of king Carl Johan. But the constitution was kept almost unchanged and Norway had a very high degree of independence within the union until total independence was declared on the 7th of June 1905. But the 17th of May is acknowledged as the greatest day in our history.

Typical for the celebration is the almost total lack of military presence in the various parades. It is the people of Norway who celebrates. It is a civilian celebration.

May you all have a nice day!

15 comments:

Abraham Lincoln said...

Well, I looked at the flag and read your post and learned a great deal that I did not know. I wonder if anybody knows the history of your country -- people over here I mean. I sure didn't. I think this is one of the tragic failures of education and I was a teacher for 13 years. LOL

I really did enjoy your post and I learned something.

detroit dog said...

Wow. Wonderful history to know, Runee. How wonderful, too, the minimal presence of military in such an important date. I hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday!

Gary said...

Hope you have a great time celebrating your National day and good to see there's no military presence - peaceful people deserved of peace!

Thanks for the education.

Gary

roentarre said...

The flag looks so aloft. Beautifully capture. Buoyancy is the word I strongly felt. Beautiful shot!

GMG said...

Hi Runee! Here I am for the weekly visit… ;)
First, congratulations on your National day. Amazing that in 1814 we were also going through the Peninsular War with Napoleon, however with our king safely living in Brazil...
The blowing in the wind is a great shot! The QE2 is huge, but yesterday we had the Independance of the Seas, the biggest for the time being; I tell you, having cruised with the Serenade of the Seas, that these ships are actually incredible floating villages!
Blogtrotter has now landed in the imperial town of Marrakesh, the Red City! Hope you enjoy and have a great weekend!

Petunia said...

Gratulerer med dagen! Flott bilde du har i anledning dagen og sangen til Dyland passer i dag også:)
Kos dere!

D.C. Confidential said...

Happy Norwegian Constitution Day! And I learned something new today.

imac said...

Congrats on your day of days.
Hope the celebrations are heard over here in the UK.lol
Great pic Rune, and have a great day.


pop over and see my busy critter.

Carolyn said...

Happy National Day! I loved this post. I always like to learn and you taught me so much. Thanks.

babooshka said...

Always good to stop by someones blog and learn a thing or two. Have a great celebration.

Gordon said...

I hope you had a great Norwegian Constitution Day; an interesting and informative post and appropriately illustrated.

Old Wom Tigley said...

I hope all my friends from blogging who live over there had a great day...

Neva said...

Congratulations on your National Day Celebration! It is nice to learn about other countries 4th of July!

evlahos said...

I hope you had a great Norwegian Constitution Day. very interesting infos. Our national days here in Greece is 28 of October and 25 of March

Island Rambles Blog said...

Congratulations and I loved this post on the history...hope the holiday was good...found you on sky watch...nice blog..cheers