Saturday, March 29, 2008

Norway - a stony country

Norway is a country largely made up of mountains, boulders and stones. In large regions the farmers have always had to clear all patches used for cultivation for stones of all types and sizes. One use of these was to make the fences necessary to demarcate the different farms and fields. At the same time the fences would keep their animals in their intended areas and give them a degree of protection.

The quality of the stones varies very much, but one had to use what one had. That meant large stones as a basis with smaller ones to fill up the remaining gaps as best as they could. Utility first - beauty second. However, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder": This old stone wall is not far from where we have our cottage - another example of living history.

12 comments:

KOSTAS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KOSTAS said...

Marvellous! The nuances of grey are the loves! Well done

Old Wom Tigley said...

Hi Runee
These look very big and sharp edges to them. Perfect for walls to keep the stock in... I am pleased to see these as you know I have a liking for stuff like this and the history behind them.. I am going to link here from my place so as I do not miss more..

All the best
Tom

starnitesky said...

I love to see walls of different shapes and sizes especially 'natural' stone walls. This one is splendid.

dot said...

I'm always amazed by the stone fences I see in other countries. I've been told they are here also but I've not been fortunate enough to do much traveling.

Paulie said...

AND think of all the little critters that live in the crevices! I like stone walls/fences or whatever you might call them. I am so glad this is a digital world because not many of us would use film to take such wonderful photos if the technique wasn't so available to us now. My Dad was a rock hound and I wish he were still living because I would love to ask him more questions about the rocks I now collect.

Jeni said...

Living history -for sure - and such beautiful images you present here too. I love coming here and getting my own private little tour of the beauty of Norway.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Love the little tuff of moss growing on the stones

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

Do you have sheep in Norway, Tom Wigley has pics of dry walls with holes for the sheep to go through.
I will be photographing stone walls while I am in Scotland and England next month.

Petunia said...

Ikke bare Norge som er bygget på stein...Brann også.
Som Mjelde selv sier det: - "stein på stein"!

Lara said...

a gorgeous picture: the texture of the stone, the colours, the light.

Texas Travelers said...

Great photos.
Anything historical I like. It is a shame so much of our history has been lost. Thanks for preserving a little piece.

I found you through Sky Watch Friday.
You have a great blog.