Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I is for ICE

I suppose that there will be dozens of Ices in this week's I-theme, but never mind: This is my way of doing it. Wikipedia defines Ice like this:

Ice is the name given to any one of the 15 known crystalline solid phases of water. In non-scientific contexts, it usually describes ice Ih, which is the most abundant of these phases. It can appear transparent or an opaque bluish-white color depending on the presence of impurities such as air. The addition of other materials such as soil may further alter appearance.
The crystal below ought to fit in nicely here.



As you can see, then, Ice is plain old H2O in a frozen phase. This transition takes place at 0 degrees C, and that is in fact why Celsius decided to start his scale here. In addition, as long as both water and ice are in contact, they both are at 0 degrees. (It is of course unnecessary to mention that boiling water - the next phase transition for water - is at the other end of the scale, at 100 degrees).

There exist many types of ices since ice changes properties when things like pressure and temperature and other variables are changed. Ice XV was mentioned by Wikipedia, but as far as I know, that exists only in theory. The others has been produced.

This getting a bit a bit esoteric, so I'll get on to something that ice can be used for. Skating is of course an obvious choice, but I don't seem to have any proper picture of a skater, so you'll have to settle for another little fellow who can walk on the ice without any artificial support whatsoever.





Happy Easter!





PS
For more about ABC Wednesday, please visit Mrs. Nesbitt's Place. Is well worth the effort.

PPS I'll be away for some days, so it may be some time before I have the opportunity to visit all of you.

PPS If you did not find me registered with Mr. Linky at Mrs. Nsbitt Place - it was because it did not show up! Now closing down.



39 comments:

Kostas said...

Nice ABC Wednesday Rune.
Marvellous post, splendid the photographs, very good the comment!

Sonia said...

Nices photos!

A Very Happy Easter as well!

Annie said...

Not having a photo of ice I had to post creatively today.

Have a good time away. If you are working, weave in some fun.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Great post, wonderful photos. Love the information

mrsnesbitt said...

Have a great time Rune.
Fantastic photo!

Dx

Petunia said...

På det første bildet ser isbiten ut som en diamant! Fantastisk bra bilder:)
Synes det var vanskelig å finne på noe på "i" jeg. Så det ble litt roting i gamle bilder lenge før digitalkamera var et tema her i huset. Styrt på med skanning og greier. Du verden så mye lettere tin er i dag:D
Dessuten er det ikke bare hos deg at Mr. Linky har forsvunnet. Fant han ikke jeg heller??? Er det bare oss to det gjelder??? Ingen andre har kommentert det....Sukk! Og den godeste fru nesbitt har ikke lagt igjen en forklaring hos deg heller ser jeg...
Ha en fin onsdag i denne fantastiske byen. Er det ikke vakkert ute i dag?

ArneA said...

Ice was not in my mind today. Perhaps the sunny sky is to blame.
Ha en god påske og fint opphold på Hytten.
Vi blir ved teltene og vandrer rundt med kamera.
Kort INR test på RH i dag, men alt bra (nesten) forøvrig.

Ida said...

Det florerer en del isbilder i dag ja. ;) Det midterste bildet her er veldig vakkert! :) Jeg tok noen isbilder i går. Sparer de.... For I var vel ganske opplagt hos meg i dag..... ;)
Jeg kan linke til deg på listen hos Mrs. Nesbitt - om du vil. Forstår at du og Petunia ikke kom inn.

Jean M Fogle said...

I love the dripping ice pic! very nice post

Ida said...

Har linket deg til listen nå. Under Rune (med èn e ;).

Gemma said...

As always I enjoy your photographs.

oldmanlincoln said...

Ice is nicest in the glass to cool down the drink of ice tea or something like that. I don't like to drive on ice or snow and we have had lots of rainy ice this winter. I am ready for warm weather.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville, Ohio

quintarantino said...

Amazing photos of ice!

LUIZ SANTILLI JR. said...

A solitary beautiful bird!

Luiz

My post today is:
THE UNTOUCHABLES

Miss_Yves said...

Awesome photos of "ice"!I have no picture of "ice" -as I told to introduce my post today !

Blue said...

I for Ice is very appropiate for you.
The Ice crystals I liked.
But the day before's post on crocus's pushing their heads though the Ice I loved.

Blue said...

I for Ice is very appropiate for you.
The Ice crystals I liked.
But the day before's post on crocus's pushing their heads though the Ice I loved.

leslie said...

Beautiful intricate photos of ice! :D

Berit said...

Virkelig flotte bilder!!!
Ha en fin kveld.

imac said...

Didnt think I would be any trouble until started to think about it, haha.

Great Ice photos Rune.

late but now mine is up.

Powell River Books said...

The reflections on the ice in your last picture were really beautiful. - Margy

alexander said...

Beautiful photos! They are wonderful. I think the foot of the bird must be frozen. hehe...

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

happyone said...

Yes, there are quite a lot of ice pictures but they are all differnet and beautiful to look at.

Janet said...

Really good photos of ice!

Andrea said...

Those are nice and interesting ICE pictures.

Dragonstar said...

I love your ice - the pictures are perfect. The little skating bird is fun.

Katney said...

You are right, Rune, that there is a lot of ice today, but each ice post is so unique.

DeeMom said...

splendid pictures

Dirty Knees said...

Your tzke on ice was definitely different from all the others, Rune.

Hope you have a safe and wonderful Easter holiday.

dot said...

Nice ice pictures and a Happy Easter to you also!! I especially like the first photo.

photowannabe said...

Nice I post Rune. I hope you have a wonderful Easter.

Paulie said...

I love your ice photograph and the cute little birdie on the ice below.


I also have ice --best viewed by enlarging --from an ice storm 4 years ago. I tried to find soemthng new this week but couldn't find any I words to photograph.

Have a safe trip and stop by when you return. Hope there is soem tiem for fun and taking photos whereever you are off to now.

Oswegan said...

The top on e is nice, it looks suspended in animation.

Lara said...

Happy Easter! and great photos!

kml said...

Nice macro work! The poor duck - hop he was able to find some open water!

Alan said...

Not the only ice post of the day, but certainly the most informative. Nice photos, too - as always. :) Enjoy your time away (fun, I hope!)

starnitesky said...

I didn't know all those things about ICE - thank you!

Suzi-k said...

wonderful, that bottom one could have also been a skywatch pic with those wonderful reflections of the clouds on the ice.

GMG said...

Excellent photos! Amazing how Spring seems to be icy up there...
Thanks for your comments at Blogtrotter, where I finished my Greek Islands 2006 adventure with a post on Cretan Towns!
Enjoy the Easter Eggs and have a great weekend!