Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A walk in a frozen forest

We have had a magnificent weather the last few days. The temperature is now below freezing, and with the lack of snow one gets a lot of effects with light, frost, haze and so forth. Yesterday I went for a stroll in what is known as "Langeskogen". Why not join me?

This "avenue" leads to the manor of the forest, called "Langegaarden". It is now a gallery. BTW, if you want to see what it looked like two months ago, visit here.

At the nest stop, you can get a glimpse of the castle "Gamlehaugen" across the frozen bay.
The castle was built by Christian Michelsen, the first Norwegian prime minister after the end of the union with Sweden in 1905. After his death in 1925, it was transferred to the government and is now a Royal Castle.


There are many of these old stone walls. With a bit of frost on the top and the back lighting, the result can be quite interesting.


Frozen grass and old stumps make better pictures than a lump of snow - in my humble opinion.

This is a much used recreational area with facilities for resting and eating your lunch etc. Not many people there today.



Sometimes the forest can get a bit spooky. I had better get home. Bye!

19 comments:

Kate said...

I have enjoyed the walk enormously, learning a bit more about your environment. The stonewall fence reminds me of one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost, _The Mending Wall_. The first line reads:

"Something there is that doesn't love a wall..."

Paulie said...

I enjoyed the tour BUT I would like to see the same places again WHEN it snows to compare and see if you are right about a better photo with just frost. I am kinda prejudiced when it comes to snow -- I love it!

Lilli & Nevada said...

Loved the tour and i kept warm while going there

dot said...

Nice tour! I love those old stone walls. I'd like to see the pictures again with snow also.
I'm still thinking about the train day. I hope you will make it RailRoad day instead because I'm going to have a hard time finding many trains. I saw someone else who was interested also.

Catherine said...

Wow..beautiful pictures...love the first shot!!
You have a beautiful blog..I found your link at Ida's !
Will have to come back when I have more time!
Cat

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Very nice series. That grass and log kind of looks like an animal.

Andrea said...

These are some beautiful pictures.

Annie said...

Yes, that last photo has a dinosaur in it, don't you think? I'd head home quickly, too, had I seen that on my walk through the woods.

And it was a wonderful walk.

tenforty said...

It must be reeeeeally cold in Norway, huh? In that sort of weather, I'll probably be bundled up at home and not go out at all, so thank goodness for the internet and lovely photos I can still enjoy in the indoor warmth. Deb

Ida said...

A nice walk togheter with you. :)

Dick said...

these are all very nice shots, winter is a good time for photos with the lower sun it's so beautiful. I hope we have some winter too, but we have autumn more or less the whole winter.

Ackworth Born said...

I like the contrast with the autumn picture of the footpath.

DigitalShutterMania said...

Nice photos especially the first one.

happyone said...

What a beatiful place to walk. I would love to go for my morning walk there. :-)

evlahos said...

wonderful captures. great place for walk

Kerri said...

Oh Thank you so much for taking us on your walk! I love the scenery!!!

I also loved those picnic tables...because they also look a bit like BENCHES!

Suzi-k said...

Rune, this forest is AMAZING!! So stunning, especially that castle seen through the trees and mist, WOW!!

Ewa said...

wow, what a great pictures - truly real experince :) thanks for sharing,
Ewa

Lynda Lehmann said...

Thanks for the fantastic walk through nature! I have such a sense of mystery looking at these lovely photos. My favorite is the last one, which to me, has the most intense feeling of mystery.

You're lucky to live near such a gorgeous place!