Wednesday, December 19, 2007

V is for Visual (Norway)

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary says about Visual:

Main Entry: 1vi·su·al
Pronunciation: 'vi-zh&-w&l, -zh&l; 'vizh-w&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin visualis, from Latin visus sight, from vidEre to see
1 : of, relating to, or used in vision
2 : attained or maintained by sight

3 : VISIBLE
4 : producing mental images : VIVID
5 : done or executed by sight only

6 : of, relating to, or employing visual aids
- vi·su·al·ly /'vi-zh&-w&-lE, -zh&-lE; 'vizh-w&-lE/ adverb
I'll settle for No. 3 - VISIBLE:

The title of the blog being what it is and I'm who I am, I ll give four examples related to Visual (Norway). Let us start in the south:


This is from Kristiansand, almost on the southern "nose" of Norway. In the middle is Odderøya. Formerly a naval fort (where I served for a time during my national military service). Nowadays it is best known for a yearly Rock consert, the Quart Festival. I also have a daughter living there, so it is a bit special - and she'll be home for Christmas...


The next up the line is Oslo - the capital of Norway. The picture is of the harbour with the sailing vessel Christian Radich in the middle. It also is the "home" of Rikshospitalet, which helped me in my hour of need some years ago.


Going quite a bit further up north, we come to Lofoten, an archipelago of islands that has some of Norway's most magnificent nature. It also happens to be the where my mother-in-law came from. The picture is taken from an aeroplane, by my son as it happens, and shows Ballstad on the island of Vestvågøy. We are about to cross Vestfjorden - the widest fjord in Norway.

And finally:

We are back in the Western part of Norway - in Bergen. Here I was born and here I was raised and educated. I have lived here for around 30 years. I still work here, but I live just outside the city borders. Anyone wanting more pictures of Bergen can search my Blog with Bergen as the keyword, or look here or here for some samples.

BTW - this picture was take from Ulriken - the highest of our seven mountains.

31 comments:

tenforty said...

I clicked on the photos so I can view them enlarged in another window. Wow, your country is beautiful! I travel a lot in the Far East but I doubt if I'll ever have the chance to visit your part of the world in my lifetime. Deb :)

evlahos said...

fantastic shots,great infos. I would like to visit your country someday.

Kate said...

I especially like the bottom photo--very nice! It is curious to me that even though you use blogger, "they" haven't reduced the size of your header, or did you edit the template. I'm very provoked that "they" have changed so many of the bloggers headers, mine included. An aside: I'm interested too in how you and I both use Visual for our blogs...great minds, I guess!! PS. I have a friend who was born in Norway and spent part of her childhood there, twice. And... Have you read Per Petterson's book, Out Stealing Horses? Loved it and heard him speak in the Minneapolis Library lecture series a few months back. Seems like a gentle man.

Andrea said...

These are beautiful pictures. Great and interesting post.

Hyde DP said...

Lofoten is an area I'd love to have visited - have been up Ulriken and regularly check the view from its webcam. Right now it seems to be thick fog!

note to kate: there IS a way to fix the header thing in blogger but I don't have a link to the solution right now and it may not work with all templates. The problem arises only if you put the graphic behind the title text. Best solution is to include the title text actually on the graphic and load that as a "replacement"

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Wow, your photos are beautiful and very educational. I learn a lot from coming here! That bottom pic that was taken from Ulriken, what a view!!!
The Rocky Mountain Retreat

Jim Baker said...

hey... i've got a friend thats visiting Norway right now! I like the fact that your blog name was the topic for your ABC wednesday post.

cheers
jim baker

dot said...

Nice post, beautiful pictures! I absolutely love that second one!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Amazing pictures. I love that sunset one. You are lucky to live in such a beautiful country.

RuneE said...

I must say that I have received many pleasant comments. There must be many nice folks in the world after all. I have just come in, and I will have to spend all evening visiting all the blogs that are taking part in this game!

KATE: I had a header that was 1240 pixels wide - no fix worked, so I have changed the template to one with fixed width. The letters are embedded in the graphics now, but you will not be able to get a picture larger than 740 pixels no matter what you do, as far as I can understand. The trick is also to use the picture instead of the "normal" header with text. That way the height will not be reduced and the picture will be proportionally sized.

No, I have not read the book, maybe I should? Concerning the use of
Visual...maybe it is because my wife is named Kate too? ;-)

HYDE DP: Lofoten is highly recommended. And you are quite right about the view from Ulriken at the moment! No White Christmas here. Concerning Blogger templates - see above (or former posts). I am almost fed up with Blogger.

JIM BAKER: Thank you - the title seemed kind of natural...

hpy said...

Of cours V for Visual Norway. You couldn't have said anything else.:)

Neva said...

I LOVE blogging and learning stuff like this! I had no idea what a beautiufl country you have. Love your choice of "V"....have a great Christmas with your daughter!

Lilli & Nevada said...

Thanks for the ride. I love the one with the sunset.
Glad that your daughter is coming home for X-mas.

Oswegan said...

Nice post. Makes me want to visit.

But not until summer.

~Oswegan

Peter M said...

Norway is sure a wonderful place

Kerri said...

These are so lovely....but I especially like the 2nd one with the ship and the sunset...Wow! Your blog has definitely lived up to it's name....and you've educated us all on Norway....what a spectacular place!!

I haven't started participating in the ABC Wednesday game...I wonder if it starts all over when you get to Z?? I would like to start at the beginning.

RuneE said...

Kerri: As far as I have seen, the consensus seems to be to start all over again. Which is fine by me, since I only started with S and there are many words in the dictionary!

DigitalShutterMania said...

Very interesting post and photos. They are very awesome especially the sunset one. I wish I could visit Norway sometime.

Cheers
DSM

imac said...

Great post and great blog.
Thanks for visiting my lil ol blog and your kind comments.

imac said...

Hi tis me again, forgot to say its PShop elements2

NYCindividual said...

I love the one of the ship and the sunset! Absolutely beautiful! The shadows are perfect in that photos as well!

photowannabe said...

Lovely travelogue of you beautiful country. A wonderful choice for the letter V.

kml said...

Very beautiful photos of your country! Thanks for sharing!

bonnie said...

What beautiful, misty country. There is so much of the world to see. I'm grateful for visual bloggers.

Lynda Lehmann said...

Norway looks very beautiful, especially the archipelago where your mother-in-law was born. I bet there's a lot of wildlife still thriving there, and sea life.

Have fun seeing your daughter over Christmas!

Middle Ditch said...

My brother used to go to your country regularly. One day, maybe, I can visit that beautiful part of the earth too.

GAWO said...

Great post. And the bottom photo is the best :-)

RuneE said...

GAWO: Of course; you are as usual right. :-)

matsu said...

It is a really wonderful photograph. And it will be what a beautiful country. I looked for a Norwegian autumn photograph and arrived here.
I want to go to your country sometime.
There is a big Christmas tree in Torgallmenningen of Bergen! Please spend wonderful Christmas!

Nicole said...

Lovely photos. I love the sunset one. PS: I've added you to my ABC blogroll.

edmundnesbitt said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh! I am really excited now. I will get hold of our itinary soon and will send you it. I will add you to my list of bloggers in Norway. If there is anybody else you think I should add to my list please let me know.

Thanks again Uncle Runee.

Edmund