Wednesday, December 05, 2007

T is for Transplantation

Wikipedia has this to say about Organ Transplant:

An organ transplant is the moving of a whole or partial organ from one body to another (or from a donor site on the patient's own body), for the purpose of replacing the recipient's damaged or failing organ with a working one from the donor site. Organ donors can be living, or deceased (previously referred to as cadaveric). Organ transplants can be categorized as "life-saving", while tissue transplants are "life-enhancing".

Organs that can be transplanted are the heart, kidneys, liver, lungs, and pancreas. Tissues include bones, tendons, cornea, heart valves, veins and skin.

I my own case it was the heart. After suffering from a relatively rare heart disease for three and a half years, a heart transplant was the only thing that could save my life. Luckily for me, there was a person who had agreed to become an organ donor in case the worst should happen to him/her. I feel the greatest respect and gratitude towards this person and his/hers family for this act of human kindness and solidarity. Since I have been the lucky recipient in this case, it also befalls upon me to encourage other persons to make arrangements so that in case the worst should happen to them, their organs is placed at the disposal of others in need. How such arrangements are made varies from country to country. Your doctor should be able to tell you.

I got the heart on the picture from my youngest daughter shortly after my operation. "You can have this heart as a spare".

Two to three weeks after my operation she turned eleven. Her dad couldn't be there. He was when she turned twelve.

15 comments:

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

Hello, my first time visiting your blog.
In canada, organ donation is a voluntary registration with the health authority.
Great "T" post.

Dick said...

Organ donation is a problem in the Netherlands but I suppose in other countries also.

evlahos said...

wonderful shots, very interesting blog. well done

hpy said...

It was a wonderful gift from your daughter. Lovely.
And of cpourse it was a great gift from the donor, too.

dot said...

Beautiful "T" post and two wonderful gifts!

Andrea said...

Great "T" post.

mrsnesbitt said...

How moving, yet humble.

Lilli & Nevada said...

What a great post with so much information.
What a neat thing for your daughter to give you a spare heart.
What a great gift.

bonnie said...

What precious gifts, both hearts. Those are some colorful gums on those teeth!

Kerri said...

Wow - a Wonderful post! This brought tears to my eyes. I hope you will be around for many more of your daughter's birthdays!!!

I am an organ donor. Here in Virginia if you decide to be a donor, it is listed on your driver's license.

RuneE said...

Thank you everyone for those very nice comments. I hope I didn't overdo it, but for obvious reasons I feel that "The gift of life" should be offered to as many as possible.

kml said...

Your daughter is very thoughtful! Great post!


Will add you to my ABC list.

Annie said...

Thank you for reminding us all how we can be generous to others in need when we no longer need. Best to you.

Lynette said...

Timely posts for ABC Wednesday. Congratulations on your continued good health. And God bless your donor's family.

RuneE said...

Thank you again! In some ways it was not an easy post to write. On the other hand it was easy - there were so many who deserved a thank you.