Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Christmas Tree - and something more.


Last week I told you of my "Quest for a Christmas Tree". Now it has been put to good use and looks more or less like Norwegian Christmas trees are supposed to do. It was decorated on Sunday (we do it late in this country) and the gifts were put beneath. We do not use "the stocking method" here (what kind of stocking would hold them, anyway? ). In Norway it is customary to celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve, with the dinner and opening of presents and all the "trimmings". The 25th is often used for family gatherings and so forth.

This year I got a gift of a very special kind: My daughter No. 2 and her cohabitant gave me two pigs! Or more correctly - they gave me the opportunity to donate two pigs to people in South-East Asia who needed "ordinary" presents more than I do. For me, the present was the pleasure of donating to someone else something that is really needed.

This is an arrangement organized by The Norwegian Church Aid (Kirkens Nødhjelp) whereby you "give away" the opportunity of donating everyday products to people in need. So yesterday the family received, pigs, trees, chickens, mosquito nettings and I don't know what.

A memorable evening.

9 comments:

Annie said...

Here we are celebrating family fun. The children are playing with their gifts and the adults are enjoying each others conversation. Late today we'll read our Christmas books and knit and dream about the coming year.

Here there is a charity, Heifer International, that donates livestock and trees and seeds to those in need around the world, like the Norwegian Church Aid you spoke about. Our family gave some of these gifts this year too.

dot said...

That's a wonderful idea! Nice Christmas tree also.

Anonymous said...

It is a wonderful present. And wonderful Christmas. I am entirely different from one's country.

Kate said...

Ah, now I have an idea for next year when we PROMISED that we would cut down, except for the children, of course. In my childhood we celebrated as you still do, but our own adult children have more or less changed Christmas eve because of their own lives and priorities. Sigh! I guess I just want to hang on to it. Nonetheless, Christmas Day was wonderful.

Kerri said...

Wonderful Wonderful gift of donating to others! Last year we took all of the money that we would have spent on each other, and donated to family in Africa. I think what we donated fed a family of 4 for 1 year. It is amazing how so little goes so far. I want to do that again!

Your tree is beautiful also!

Mike said...

Lovely tree and SO many presents.

Paulie said...

Loved seeing your Christmas tree!

What a wonderful gift to get -- the two pigs I mean -- our Sunday School children recently bought a cow for Heifer International too. I guess I never thought about individuals doing it.

Neva said...

My daughter would love this kind of gift giving...she is all about saving the world from itself! Nice post and cute idea! YOur tree looks awesome...I just got ours done on Thursday....late for some, early for other!

photowannabe said...

That's my kind of Christmas too. We celebrated Norweigian style with my daughter in laws family on Christmas eve. it was lots of fun. Christmas day it was the more American tradition. That way we make Christmas last as long as we can.