Wednesday, November 28, 2007

S = Sotra

What the h... is the the man up to now?

The truth is that mrsnesbitt invited to join the fun in ABC Wednesday, which this week concerns words beginning with an S.

Like with charity I like to start at home. - so Sotra is where I live.

According to Wikipedia it is like this:

Sotra is the name of two islands just west of Bergen, Norway. The main island is called Store Sotra (Big Sotra) and has an area of 176 km². Lille Sotra (Little Sotra) is the island closest to the mainland while Store Sotra (Big Sotra) lies further out. Between the two islands is the smaller island of Bildøy.

There are two municipalities at Sotra, Fjell and Sund. A third municipality, Øygarden lies north of Sotra.



The picture above is taken from Lyderhorn, one of the Bergen's seven "famous" mountains. Sotra covers as, indicated by the arrows, most of the upper part of the picture. Above that you can see the North Sea. I have indicated approximately where I live. Actually it is on the small island of Little Sotra.

I hope you'll enjoy this first entry into the world of "ABC Wednesday"!

18 comments:

Lara said...

beautiful panorama.

Ida said...

I think you pointed me out.... ;)

Marie said...

Kjempeflott panorama!

Eg har ikkje ordrebekrefting på min blogg. Ein gong hadde eg ein politisk kommentar frå midtausten som ikkje hadde noko med innlegget mitt å gjere. Var dette spam mon tru??? Elles ingenting på bloggen. På e-posten derimot har eg vunne fantastiske summar på dei utruligaste lotteri. Eg får også ein masse tilbod på potensmiddel. Eg opnar ikkje den posten, berre slettar.

Andrea said...

I feel like I know more after visiting your blog. Great post.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Welcome to ABC Wednesday. I love these pictures since I do a lot of my traveling via my armchair these days.

I enjoyed the photos when I had a quick look through your blog this morning. I will have to come back and take a more detailed view.

Deb said...

Hello, and welcome to ABC Wed! That is a nice landscape picture of the islands!

Jean M Fogle said...

Wow, what a beautiful place to live and so close to the beach!!
Welcome to the abc group!

dot said...

It is interesting to know more about where you live. I wish I had a big world map to frame and hang on the wall so I could see it all more clearly.
You will enjoy ABC WED. It's fun!

RuneE said...

Thank you all for the nice comments! I feel this might be thing for me. I can see that the family will see less of me this evening than usual as i browse all the others.

Ida: And me with my new glasses and all...!

Marie: Den politiske kommentaren kan godt ha vært av det slaget. Annen spam kan komme fra hvor det skal være. Din bredbåndsleverandør bør ha gode spamfiltre som fjerner det meste. Jeg bruker Eudora som mail-program. Det pleier å ta resten.

Lilli & Nevada said...

what a great post and nice panoramic
view. I like the pointers as well. wish i knew how to do that

Ackworth Born said...

I hope this comment gets through first time.

welcome to ABC Wednesday

I regulary look at the Ulriken webcam so recognize the view over Bergen. You seem to have a lot rain today just like us.

RuneE said...

Thanks a lot!

Lilli & Nevada: In this case Adobe's Photoshop was used, but most picture editing programs can do this. Even PowerPoint, although you cannot adjust the quality of the export jpg -file.

Ackworth Born: Some very good arguments for not keeping the letters!

Kerri said...

Nice "s" post and neat to learn more about your area!

Annie said...

You are just a tiny thing in that huge landscape. I guess we each of just tiny things in the great wide world.

It's winter here, even though it doesn't look a thing like winter.

photowannabe said...

Welcome aboard the ABC blogtrain. Thanks for all your information and the S post.

Mr. Mapper said...

Nice shot of a beautiful country. My 86 year old father in law just returned from a 2 month trip visiting his child hood home in Vadso Norway

Mike said...

It looks nice and picturesque where you live. I think I'd have to own a little boat if I lived there. One of these days I'm going to get myself to Norway. A couple of friends and I have been talking about taking a bike ride over there for a few years now. it's bound to happen sooner or later.

RuneE said...

Thank you all for a pleasant welcome to the "ABC-community" and for the nice comments about the post!